To increase your odds of avoiding chronic lung disease, consider these tips:
- Don’t smoke, or quit smoking. Avoid secondhand smoke.
- Try to reduce your exposure to pollutants in the environment, at work, and in your home.
- Exercise regularly. Aerobic exercise that increases your heart rate is best.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Get regular checkups with your doctor.
- Be sure to get a flu shot every year, and after you turn 65, get a pneumonia shot.
- If you’re at risk for lung cancer, ask your doctor about screening options.
- Test your home for radon gas.
- Wash your hands regularly, avoid touching your face, and stay away from individuals who are sick.